Monday, April 2, 2007

Elsie Dinsmore

Please Read:

Little Elsi sat sadly looking at her dear papa laying on the sofa on sunday afternoon, his face was pale and sad looking, she had been his constant nurse all day, making sure his every desire and request was granted. Even though Elsi was only eight she loved the dear lord with all her heart soul and mind. She also loved her dear papa. Elsie sat for a very long time looking at him, until she wisperd in an uneasy voice to him:

"Papa, may I read to you?"
" Yes my daughter." said her papa tierdly

Elsi jumped up and ran to the mantal and picked up her dear little bible wich she cherished more than anything. After about an hour of reading to him, her papa said,

"Thats quite enough now darling, please go over to my desk and pick up my novel, and read a chapter or two to me, please." he said kindly
"Oh, papa I cannot!"cried Elsie
"Elsie"her papa said sternly "you must always do as I permit"
"But papa it is the sabbath!" She said almost in a whisper
"Your point" he said crossly
"Papa, the bible says to not speak or do anything that is not glorifying to him on his day!" she said with a quiver in her voice
"Elsie, I will not have a rebelliouse child in my sight, for the bible tells children to honor her parents, you must leave my sight until you can come to me and say that you always obey me in everything that I permit!" he said almost in a shout."
"Oh papa no! I will die If I cant be by you! you are my only parent!" She cried
"Elsie I do not want to see you until you do as I permit! I will not break my word!" he said crossly

Elsi ran to her room and wept, for she would never see her papa again, for she could not disobey Gods command, she wept silently and prayed to God that her papa would come to Christ!


Who do you agree with? Elsie or Papa? Comment your answer!

~Katelynn

8 comments:

Emily said...

Hey Katelynn! this is an AWESOME blog..I love it. I'll link it to mine if that's okay with you. :-D

I'm glad to hear your dad's doing better, but I'll still be praying for him. I also LOVE the hymn "Come ye Sinners". It's one of my absolute favorites. It's so beautiful and true.

I love the Elsie books! We have a couple of them, but I haven't read them in YEARS! But in answer to you question: Who do I agree with? I'm actually not sure! I don't think reading a novel on the Lord's day is a sin. However, it's amazing how seriously Elsie took the Lord's day! Soo..I don't know. What do you think?

Anonymous said...

i think it was wrong for elsie's dad to try and make her go against her contience, BUT i think she was beeing silly and that it would have been fine for her to read it to him, of course with what happened because of her, her dad got saved, so... mixed.lol

katherine said...

i love the elsie dinsmore books!

i agree with elsie. it is better to obey God rather than man. of course we must obey our parents but if they command us to do something that goes against what God commands then we are to obey God, while at the same time, still honoring and respecting our parents, and of course praying for them as Elsie did, if they are unsaved.

i know emily and beth both said it's not wrong to read novels on the sabbath. well, while it may not necessarily be wrong in and of itself, i do think that time on the Sabbath could and should be better spent reading God's word and meditating on it. Novels can wait for another day.

Anonymous said...

Yes but the Lords day is the day of rest is it not? and may be it help us relacs to read other books i am not saying that we should not read the bible to but NO where in the bible does it say you cant!

Hi girl i dont remember you soryy dont be mad but i dont remember what i had for dinner 20 mins ago...

anyways i dont really like the elsi books she is just "so perfect" but ya know i like janette oke and no one ever knows who she is so.....anyways read what ya like and enjoy it!

ttyl
come see me at
psalmwriter93.blogspot.com

and thats the right one i checked that was kinda of funn girl even though it was kinda gross.......

i have nothing else to say exsept that i Love to ice skate even though i am not very good at it...i am good at ballet

Anonymous said...

I agree with Katherine.

Anonymous said...

sorry Faith that you dont remember me, Ill see if I can post this picture that I have of you and me when I stayed at yuor house for a while!

Anonymous said...

*your

Anonymous said...

I am really sorry i dont but...like i said there have been so manny ppl that have stayed at my house it is hard to member them all. But I am glad to of met you again